An Open-concept Kitchen is Redesigned in Luxe Taste
Inspiration Interiors made this contemporary-chic kitchen glisten with glam.
When Kavena Chun bought her Portlock home, there was a lot to love about it. Its open-concept kitchen with a view of the home’s pool and Maunalua Bay would be fantastic for entertaining — but not until the original, 20-year-old kitchen got an update.
Its floor plan was well laid out, but its aged appliances and shaker-style cabinets needed to be replaced to achieve a more contemporary look to complement Chun’s vibrant personality and taste.
“It was a gorgeous kitchen in the ’90s, but it was very dated,” she says, noting its pink countertop. “The thing I loved about the kitchen was the layout. I wanted to have more of a sexy, modern feel to it, but keep it homey.”
Chun sought the expertise of the kitchen design team at INspiration Interiors. Its kitchen studio is known for its high-end modern kitchens with Italian-made ValDesign cabinetry and top-of-the-line appliances and materials.
“The process was pretty fabulous,” Chun says of her experience working with INspiration Interiors.
The open-concept kitchen is designed in segments, with the formal dining table on the opposite side of the space from the bright breakfast nook that overlooks Maunalua Bay. Separating the dining room from the kitchen is a peninsula beverage center with a mini refrigerator and icemaker. Chun entertains often and prefers storing beverages and household food items separately.
A large island anchors the center of the kitchen. Its Cambria quartz countertop in Montgomery shines with waves of blue speckles that mimic the kitchen’s glistening bay view, while two waterfall edges drop to the porcelain tile floor. Beneath the surface, the island is loaded with high-tech features, including a Thermador downdraft for the induction cooktop, Perlick refrigerator and freezer drawers beside it, ValDesign cabinets stretching the length of the island, and counter seating for two.
“I basically told INspiration to give me as much storage as we can possibly fit in this space,” Chun recalls. It’s concealed behind ValDesign Logica doors in Rovere Spess Art Perla, a textured, durable melamine finish. The upper wall cabinet doors have a touch-to-open feature, eliminating the need for pulls while providing a modern, flat-panel look that INspiration Interiors’ kitchens are known for. “I absolutely love the touch opening of the soft-close doors,” Chun says.
Miele speed and convection ovens are wall-mounted beside a countertop backsplash that reaches up to the ceiling in places where there are no cabinets, bringing more drama to the kitchen, explains kitchen designer Lyndee Park.
“The soft colors of the cabinets and countertops offer a cool coastal aesthetic, while the white glass Miele appliances add a touch of luxury, updating this Portlock kitchen from transitional to contemporary,” Park says.
Chun loves the final result of the kitchen and having friends and family to enjoy it together.
“We can all share some laughs and really cook in this kitchen,” she says.
Where To Get It
- Cabinets: ValDesign Logica door style in Rovere Spess Art Perla, from INspiration Interiors
- Countertops: Cambria Quartz in Montgomery, from INspiration Interiors; fabricated and installed by Marble Works
- Sink: Franke Peak Undermount Sink and Franke MasterChef Faucet, from INspiration Interiors
- Refrigerator/Freezer: Monogram ZIS420NK 42” Built-in Side-by-Side Refrigerator, from INspiration Interiors
- Beverage Center: Monogram ZDBI240HII 24” Undercounter Beverage Center, from INspiration Interiors
- Icemaker: Monogram UCC15HNJII 15” Gourmet Clear Ice Maker, from INspiration Interiors
- Dishwasher: Miele G6365SCVi. Fully Integrated Dishwasher, from INspiration Interiors
- Speed Oven: Miele H6800 BM BRWS. 24” PureLine Speed Oven, from INspiration Interiors
- Trim Kit: Miele EBA6808 30” PureLine Trim Kit, from INspiration Interiors
- Convection Oven: Miele H6880BP BRWS. 30” PureLine Convection Oven, from INspiration Interiors
- Refrigerator/Freezer Drawers: Perlick HP24ZS-3. 24” Signature Series Dual Zone Freezer/Refrigerator Drawers, from Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
- Induction Cooktop: Thermador CIT365KBB. 36” Black Frameless Induction Cooktop Masterpiece Series, from Servco Home & Appliance Distribution
- Downdraft: Thermador UCVM36FS. 36” Downdraft Ventilation Masterpiece Series, from Servco Home & Appliance Distribution
- Flooring: Porcelain tile, from Daltile