Mark your calendar: Festive family-friendly October events
Carve out some fun in October 2018.
Carve your own pumpkin decorations, attend a free seminar with Ozzy’s Construction or get your kitchen ready for the holidays with our October 2018 calendar.
Embrace the fall season with a visit to Aloun Farms or Waimanalo Country Farm, which will each host a pumpkin-themed event. Aloun Farms celebrates its 18th annual Pumpkin Festival, where visitors can enjoy entertainment, local food vendors, free tractor-pulled hayrides and more. Waimanalo Country Farms will have a pumpkin patch, animal farm, sunflowers and more.
Saturday-Sunday, Oct. 13-14, 20-21 and 27-28
91-1440 Farrington Hwy, Kapolei
Admission: $3; age 2 and under free
Pumpkins: Price depends on size
8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
Note: Hayrides and parking are free; cash-only event
Waimanalo Country Farms
Saturday-Sunday, Oct. 6-7, 13-14, 20-21 and 27-28
41-225 Lupe St., Waimanalo
Pumpkins: Price depends on size (ranges from $5 to $25)
9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Note: Parking is free; $15 wristband allows unlimited access to the animal farm, hayride, cow train ride and li’l rascal zone (all priced at $3 individually without wristband)
Jack of All Trades
Get started on your new home or remodel by attending a free two-hour seminar hosted by Ozzy’s Construction. Learn from the experts about the homebuilding process, and explore the Kailua showroom for a mix of materials, from door handles to flooring samples and more.
Saturday, Oct. 6
11 a.m.-1 p.m.
201 Kapaa Quarry Place,
Building 25, Suite 2503, Kailua
Kitchen Cleaning To-Do List
- Countertops: Wipe down regularly and avoid harsh chemicals (depending on surface type).
- Dishwasher: Fill a dishwasher-safe container with one cup of white vinegar and leave on the top rack while running a full cycle.
- Microwave: Set a wet sponge in the microwave and “cook” for two minutes. Once it cools, use the sponge to wipe down the inside and out.
- Oven: Use a soapy solution or vinegar-and-water mix to wipe down the oven; rinse with clean water and dry with a soft cloth.
- Refrigerator: Empty the fridge and throw out items that have gone bad; start from the top and wipe shelves with an all-purpose cleaner.
- Sink: Disinfect and wipe down. Don’t forget to clean the garbage disposal! Run cut-up pieces of lemon through the disposal for a fresh scent.
- Stovetop: Spray on an all-purpose cleaner and let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe it down with a clean, dry cloth.